The Mattoon Area Community Foundation has formed a relationship with a new group to support the activities of young professionals in Coles County. The Coles County Young Professionals (CCYP) started as a project of Leadership Coles County. At a December 2009 event there was great interest in moving forward with the idea of forming the group. A Leadership Team formed and met to define the roles and work on organizational structure.
Establishing CCYP as a membership organization will give members the opportunity to develop professionally and network with peers throughout the area, while also giving back and promoting the assets of the Coles County community. An April 1st planning meeting is scheduled and anyone with interest is welcome to attend to discuss the following ideas:
- A monthly service opportunity in collaboration with local service clubs and nonprofits (ex. Bowling for Kid’s Sake with Big Brothers Big Sister; Rotary Food Drive)
- A monthly professional/personal development opportunity in collaboration with the Chambers, local educational institutions and member expertise.
- Quarterly young professional social gatherings supporting local businesses.
- A CCYP Giving Circle through a fund established at the Mattoon Area Community Foundation with a grant awarded annually to the local nonprofit community.
- More to come…as we learn from other young professional groups in the area and see what works in Coles County.
CCYP has received a grant from the community foundation’s Consolidated Communications Fund for Economic Development and Community Leadership to help with start up costs and to establish the Giving Circle Fund with the community foundation.
The April 1st planning meeting will be held at the 2 Flowers banquet room in Charleston starting at 5:00 p.m.
For more information:
- Join the Facebook group “Coles County Young Professionals
- Not on Facebook? Email email@example.com to be added to our email list.
- Website (coming soon!): www.ccyphub.org.